I admit, I’m a fan of squirrels, but not because I’ve ever been around them very much. I just think they’re one of the most adorable creatures around.
I had more fun choosing the photos as well and tried to pick ‘action shots’. Though, I particularly like the photo of the squirrel below who looks like he’s lounging, lol! That’s my kind of critter!
As I’ve done in other blogs, I went hunting for some fun facts and found them on the The Factsite blog. I don’t know about you, but I love learning tidbits here and there on just about any subject. Unfortunately, my ability to retain that information is about zero. Okay, maybe a half-a-percent, lol!
- In Greek, the word ‘squirrel’ means ‘shadow tail’.
- The hind legs of squirrels are double-jointed, which gives them the ability to run up and down trees very quickly.
- A male squirrel can actually smell a female in heat, from up to a mile away.
- Mating season for squirrels is from February to May, with a 44-day gestation period. Generally, two to four young are born per litter.
- Squirrels have 4 toes on their front feet, which are extremely sharp and used for gripping tree bark whilst climbing. They also have 5 toes on their back feet.
- With 285 species of squirrels, they can be found in every continent except Antarctica and Australia.
- Squirrels can eat their own body weight every week, which is roughly 1.5 pounds.
- Squirrels can fall from 30 metres (98 feet) high, without hurting themselves.
- When jumping, or falling, they use their tail both for balance and as a parachute!
- An arctic ground squirrel (a species of ground squirrel native to the Arctic.) is the only warm-blooded mammal able to withstand body temperatures below freezing whilst hibernating.
- Squirrels eyes are positioned in a way which allows them to see behind them.
*** This giveaway is closed! *** The winner is Sandra L. Congrats, Sandra! For a chance to win a $25.00 Amazon gift card, scroll to the bottom of the page and read the details for entering. You will be leaving a comment as the entry requirement. Contest ends 6/15/2017 at midnight Arizona, USA time.
And now, here are the photos! Enjoy! (Photos from Pixabay…)
I hope you enjoyed these photos. Be sure to keep scrolling to leave a comment for the weekly prize draw. Details below!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Do you enjoy free books!?! All year, I’ll be giving away copies of my e-books through my newsletter. I also run subscriber-exclusive giveaways, so be sure to sign up on my home page in the right hand column where it says: Subscribe to Our Mailing List! Once you do, you’ll receive a welcome letter with a link to your free e-book! Enjoy and hugs, Caris Roane!
BE SURE TO LOOK FOR YOUR WELCOME LETTER WHICH HAS THE LINK TO YOUR FREE E-BOOK!!!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Most Recent Release:
A VAMPIRE’S EMBRACE
A VAMPIRE’S EMBRACE ~ Book 2 of the Blood Rose Time Travel Series
Having lost his entire family, Mastyr Rez vowed never to love again…
‘Rez drew closer and caught her softly pointed fae chin. “You buy shoes on the black market because it’s exciting and different. You can’t fool me, Holly. You’re a secret rebel.”’
~ ~ ~
For More about my books, check out my Books Page!!!
*** This giveaway is closed! *** The winner is Sandra L. Congrats, Sandra! To be in the running for a $25 Amazon Gift card, please leave a comment at the bottom of this post. Also, feel free to post comments on every Caris Roane blog, Monday thru Thursday this week, to increase your chances of winning this week’s prize drawing.
*** This giveaway is closed! *** The winner is Sandra L. Congrats, Sandra!Contest ends midnight, Arizona time on Thursday, June 15, 2017! Some time on Friday, June 16th, Arizona time, I’ll select the winning blog then the winning comment. I’ll use Random.org to make my selection!
*** This giveaway is closed! *** The winner is Sandra L. Congrats, Sandra! To be entered into the giveaway drawing, please leave a comment about squirrels, anything that comes to mind, a past experience, your love of these critters, your frustration with their raiding of bird-feeders, anything. Feel free to share whatever comes to mind and share from the heart. Also, be sure to tell us where you’re from and I’ll try to remember to do the same, lol! (I live in the Desert Southwest, in Arizona, USA, in the Phoenix metro area, in a town called Buckeye.)
And Remember: Live the fang!!!